Commerce / Regulation
Our international work in the commercial sector includes a wide range of private law disputes (together with associated advisory work) as well as contentious and non-contentious regulatory matters. Much of our commercial work has a cross-border element.
Recent examples include:
- High value litigation in the Hong Kong Court of First Instance and the Cayman Islands Grand Court relating to breaches of warranty and misrepresentation arising out of cooperation agreements entered into with China National Petroleum Company for the exploitation of mineral resources in China.
- Acting for China Light and Power in a successful appeal to the Hong Kong Court of Appeal concerning a dispute with the Hong Kong Government over the rateable value of machinery forming part of power station infrastructure.
- Acting in a high value share ownership dispute in the British Virgin Islands High Court.
- An arbitration in Beijing relating to the sale and purchase of a substantial restaurant business in China.
- Appearing in the Supreme Court of Bermuda in a high value dispute between a private landowner and Bermuda’s Director of Land Valuation over the assessment of land tax.